The second major release of WordPress: Version 3.5 Elvin has created much buzz in the industry. It has been honored with a title “Elvin” – a nickname of the Jazz drummer, Elvin Jones. This updated version brings users more intuitive experience aligned with simplicity and a good number of changes, upgrades and updates. It has been officially updated with many improvements of existing features such as plug-in installations, media library, theme previewer and more.
The massive popularity of WordPres Version 3.5 “Elvin” has resulted in a matured market for PSD to WordPress development services. The reason is simple – the updated version comes with many interesting features that can do wonders when it comes to develop a future-proof website powered by WordPress and custom WordPress plug-ins development.
Major Improvements In WordPress 3.5
According to latest figures, one out of five websites are powered by WordPress Content Management System. After the advent of WordPress 3.5 the number will surely increase because the latest version come with many new and noteworthy features which are as follows:
New Media Manager :
It is the biggest improvement in the WordPress platform. The new Media Manager comes with beautiful and simple interface offering entirely new experience. By using its updated interface, you can create galleries faster than ever by simple drag-and-drop reordering, insert multiple images, inline caption editing and more.
New Default Theme : Twenty Twelve :
The new version of WordPress has brought a new experience with itself in terms of Default Theme, which is named Twenty Twelve. The theme is fully responsive and supports any screen size. Interestingly, the Default Theme Twenty Twelve is very friendly to mobile devices. It is simple, flexible and elegant. It includes a front-page template loaded with its own widgets instead of a sidebar.
Links Manager : Disabled By Default :
With fresh 3.5 WordPress installations, you will get disabled links menu by default. The reason behind disabled links menu is simply to make core WordPress lighter. In case you want to get links feature back then you need to install the Link Manager plugin.
The fresh 3.5 installations of WordPress brings you the advantage of Multisite feature that allows home page of sub-directory websites to resolve regardless of capitalization. To use Multisite feature, simply introduce get_space_used() and upload_is_user_over_quota() for gauging more accurate quotas. Before using this feature, you are required to first define multisite in the wp-config.php file.
Enhanced Admin Features :
WordPress 3.5 CMS comes with many new and improved admin features that offers a crystal clear picture even on high end screens. Discussed below are some major and important enhancements in the Admin feature:
1) Simpler and more user-friendly welcome screen
2) Retina-Ready (HiDPI) Admin that helps your dashboard to look gorgeous on for high resolution screens of iPhone 5, iPad, Nexus 10, or Macbook Pro
3) Improved color picker that enables you to pick the right shade of your favorite color hassle-free. This feature offers you more polished admin screens
4) The WordPress 3.5 version also offers better accessibility for screenreaders, touch devices, keyboard users and mouseless workflows
Other WordPress 3.5 Features Under The Hood
- By default functionality of XML-RPC allows you to connect with mobile apps easily.
- Improved static front-page options under the “Reading Settings” menu.
- WordPress 3.5 version supports Instagram, SoundCloud and SlideShare
- The “HTML” tab has been renamed to “Text.”
- Meta queries support querying for objects
- Help Text improvements